column By: Stan Trzoniec | September, 20
The rifle started out as a prewar (1936) .22 Model Es 350 B Meisterschafts manufactured at the Mauser Werke in Oberndorf, Germany. Pritchard decided on creating a miniature, very traditional African plains rifle. The metal went to Herman Waldron (now deceased), who turned, shortened and recrowned this German target barrel while recutting the chamber to accommodate the Mauser claw extractor. He also added a banded front sight, barrel band swivel and a quarter rib with folding sights.
From there, the action went to Gary Goudy for the final touch of placing all this work into a great piece of Bastogne walnut. Goudy also installed a double screw, steel grip cap, pedestal-style detachable sling swivels, a widow’s peaked trap buttplate and finished it off with an ebony forend tip and custom checkering. To give the rifle a top-of-the-line rust bluing, the action went to Jim Windish.